Lamb shanks with rosemary, lemon and white wine
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 2.5 hours
- 2 tbsp olive oil2 lamb shanks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 tbsp sun dried tomato paste
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped
- 250ml white wine
- grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 160C Gas Mark 2. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and brown the lamb on all sides. Remove from the pan. Add the onion and carrot and cook until softened but not browned. Add the garlic and anchovy and cook for a minute or two.
2. Return the lamb to the pan and add the anchovy, tomato paste, rosemary, wine, lemon juice and rind and seasoning. Bring to simmering point and cover the pan. Cook in the oven for 2.5 hours until the lamb is meltingly tender.
This recipe was provided by Mary Gwynn, a local author and food writer. She writes regularly for Waitrose Weekend newspaper and has published several cookery books, including The WI Cookbook: The First 100 Years and The Busy Mumís Cookbook. She is on the committee of Penshurst Farmers Market.