Christmas spiced red cabbage
Prep - 15 mins
Cook - 1 ½ to 2 hours
- 1 tbsp local rape seed oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tsp ground coriander, ½ tsp ground cinnamon, ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 750g red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large eating apple, cored and chopped
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp cranberry or redcurrant jelly
Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil, then cover and simmer very gently for 1½ to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until really tender and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the jelly and serve hot or cold.
The classic sweet and sour flavours go wonderfully with all rich meats so serve with sausages and roast pork, game, creamy potato dishes, and cold with pates and sliced hams.